If you have to rent a car on your next trip, try the following tips for big savings:
* Shop around. Use travel websites, like Expedia.com and Travelocity.com, to find the best deal.
* Use discounts. Membership in groups like AAA or AARP may qualify you for discounted rates.
* Use coupons. Search the internet, or car rental websites, for coupons and special promotions.
* Rent from a non-airport facility. You’ll usually pay a premium to rent a car at the airport.
* Compare daily and weekly rates. It may be cheaper to rent a car for the week, even if you only need it a few days.
* Don’t buy unnecessary insurance. Understand what coverage your personal auto policy (or credit card you’re using) provides before you arrive at the rental counter.
* Fill the tank before you return the car. Rental companies often charge exorbitant prices to refill the car with gas.